Gravesend Town Pier is the oldest surviving cast iron pier in the world built by William Tierney Clark in 1834.
At the time of construction, Town Pier was originally open-sided apart from two small pavilions at the end, offering little comfort for waiting passengers. Steamers were boarded from a series of steps and landings, with services run by Gravesend Council and later Thurrock Council in 1930. With the coming of the railway to Tilbury, traffic increased and railway ferries also began serving the Town Pier along with goods and livestock but the railway considered the charges to be too high and built a new goods pier at West Street. At this time a pontoon was added to allow more than one steamer to berth at a time and the promenade section of the pier was covered in, resulting in a very attractive structure.
Although Gravesend Council had lost control of the pier to receivers on their bankruptcy in 1852, it was not until 1884 that the Railway obtained ownership. All ferry services switched to the West Street Pier in 1965, and the pontoon was removed. Following its purchase by Gravesham Borough Council and with the help of grants by English Heritage, English Partnerships, Heritage Lottery Fund Town Pier underwent restoration, further developments saw the pier transform into a restaurant and bar.